July 20, 2021
AMENDMENT PROCESS FOR
H.R. 4346 – Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2022
The Committee on Rules is likely to meet the week of July 26 to grant a rule that may provide a structured amendment process for floor consideration of H.R. 4346, the Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2022.
To help ensure Members draft their amendments properly and promptly, please see the following guidance:
- Members must draft their amendments to H.R. 4346, as reported by the Committee on Appropriations, which is available on the Rules Committee website.
- Any Member wishing to offer an amendment must submit a searchable electronic copy of the amendment, which should be provided by the Office of Legislative Counsel, via the Rules Committee’s website by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, July 23, 2021.
- Please note that staff must be on the House network, either physically or remotely via virtual private network (VPN), in order to access the online submission form.
- Members should use the Office of Legislative Counsel to ensure that their amendments are drafted in the most appropriate format. To help expedite drafting requests, drafting templates can be found on the Rules Committee website. If the Office of Legislative Counsel is unable to provide their drafting services before the submission deadline, Members may submit amendments written using the posted templates. Members are urged to re-submit any such amendment as a revision upon receipt of a formal draft from the Office of Legislative Counsel.
- Members should also check with the Committee on Appropriations for technical and subject matter expertise and the Congressional Budget Office for a preliminary assessment of their amendment’s budgetary effect.
- Additionally, Members should consult with the Office of the Parliamentarian and the Committee on the Budget to be certain their amendments comply with the rules of the House and the Congressional Budget Act. At times of particularly high-volume amendment drafting, these offices may not be able to provide guidance before the submission deadline—Members may submit unreviewed amendments to the Committee.
- The Rules Committee does not intend to make in order amendments that are in violation of House rules or budget rules and would require a waiver.
If you have any questions, please contact Eric Delaney of the Committee staff at 225-9091.
James P. McGovern