Washington, D.C. – Congressman Tom Cole (OK-04), Chairman of the House Rules Committee, welcomed Republican members appointed to the committee by Speaker Kevin McCarthy for the 118th Congress.
Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Tom Cole (OK-04) was officially appointed Chairman of the House Rules Committee for the 118th Congress by Speaker Kevin McCarthy. Before consideration on the House floor, every major piece of legislation must first pass through the Rules Committee.
The Committee on Rules will meet Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM EST in H-313, The Capitol on the following measures:
- S. 619 – COVID-19 Origin Act of 2023
- H.J. Res. 27 - Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers, Department of Defense and the Environmental Protection Agency relating to ‘‘Revised Definition of ‘Waters of the United States’’’.
- H.R. 140 - Protecting Speech from Government Interference Act
H.R. 140 – Protecting Speech from Government Interference Act
The Committee on Rules may meet the week of March 6th to provide for floor consideration of H.R. 140.
If a Member wishes to offer an amendment for consideration, they must submit a searchable electronic copy of the amendment, which should be provided by the Office of Legislative Counsel, via the Rules Committee’s website by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 3, 2023. Please note that staff must be on the House network, either physically or remotely via virtual private network (VPN), in order to access the online submission form.
Members should draft their amendments to the text of Rules Committee Print 118-1, which is available on the Rules Committee website.
Members should use the Office of Legislative Counsel to ensure that their amendments are drafted in the most appropriate format. Members should check with the Office of the Parliamentarian and the Committee on the Budget to be certain their amendments comply with the rules of the House and the Congressional Budget Act. If you have any questions, please contact Emily Ackerman of the Committee staff at Emily.Ackerman@mail.house.gov or at 202-225-9191.
House Committee on Rules
The Committee on Rules will meet Monday, February 27, 2023 at 5:00 PM EST in H-313, The Capitol on the following measures:
- H.R. 347 — Reduce Exacerbated Inflation Negatively Impacting the Nation Act
- H.J. Res. 30 — Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Department of Labor relating to "Prudence and Loyalty in Selecting Plan Investments and Exercising Shareholder Rights".